Orbees helps a large San Francisco Bay Area based public university system develop and market a Recreational Sports Management System
Our client, the Recreational Sports department at a large public university, wanted to build an application that will enable them to digitally manage youth camps, memberships and schedules among others. The client was working with another vendor for the last five years and for reasons unforeseen, the product development was behind schedule and additional modules had to developed under time and budget constraints. The client wanted a trusted partner who can leverage existing code, enhance product quality and deliver the application faster.
The client chose Orbees as its strategic partner, given our previous relationship with the university, our demonstrated ability to deliver complex projects and our strong knowledge of the higher ed domain.
Orbees leveraged its onshore/offshore model to expedite the product development while sticking to the budget. The onshore engagement partner worked with the sports department to understand their day-to-day operations, major events, and employee workflow as well as user base. The experienced offshore development team seamlessly inherited the existing code base and optimized the existing application and started building modules as per the product plan. Orbees helped expedite the product releases by leveraging experienced cost-effective mix of onshore/offshore resources.
Apart from the product development as per the requirements, Orbees strengthened the application and increased its usability in the following ways:
- Modernized the entire front-end, complying to HTML 5 standards, to improve the UI, look and feel, and usability of the product across web and mobile platforms
- Enhanced the server-side security module to protect confidential user information and increased the scalability of the application to sustain heavy traffic during popular events and major enrollments
- Added new core modules in an expedited manner using agile methodology
Benefits to the client:
Engagement with Orbees helped client develop an interactive and responsive web-based sports management application which is now being used by thousands of students, faculty and other staff. Some of the benefits include:
- Seamless transition of product development with no interruption to product launch
- Faster Time to Market and lowered Total Cost of Ownership of sports management system
- Lower cost of development due to the use of onshore/offshore model
- Improved user interfaces and workflows resulting in better user engagement, and increased time spent on the application
- Smooth product launch at pilot customers through implementation support by Orbees
- Rec sports department was able to meet the schedule as per the product roadmap
- With Orbees' support and guidance, the client has secured budget to develop the product into a comprehensive, module-based application suite to manage all of the department's activities